Sunday, September 5, 2010

Colors of Malaysia (Part I)



https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEjUh6wzC4z73DDssemZ4U1vi_6GC8Ct4o3fMlotVKOogMRXoSjq2qAz34I6Ta16tYWY6RgEYHm7iyWNIknc-Sg606lTftDgfd8FCu2s2H8ES7lNZ6AFBu9lgINg6NtkzCs6VrIrRtCaFBE/s400/jalur+gemilang.jpg

Afternoon every one, I have just woke up from my sleep :) . To be honest, I am on my holiday right now. I come back to my country for a week. Yesterday I was leaving Malaysia at 6 in the morning. Yea talking about Malaysia, I like Malaysia so much. It is just so rich, various and interesting. I can see it from the pattern and the color of the nation flag and the people. I was so curious with the meaning inside the Malaysian flag so I decided to find this out and this is my research so far. The flag of Malaysia has three basic colors, which are blue, red, and white. The blue color represents vigilance, truth and loyalty, perseverance and justice. Beside that, blue color also represents the symbol of unity of Malaysia people. Blue color itself was adopted from British Union Jack and it represents the link between Malaysia and British as well. Then the red color represents hardiness, strength, bravery and valor. Last but not least, white represents the peace and honesty. Inside the blue square of the flag, there is a crescent and star imagery, it actually represents Islam religion. Then it is in the yellow color, which is a traditional royal color.
Beside all of that, there is one part that really grabs my attention. This part is the fourteen horizontal stripes of red and white. It is started with the red line on the top and continued by white line run down the flag. The fourteen stripes represent the equal status in the federation of the state and federal government of the thirteen member states of the Malaysian federation and the Federal District of Kuala Lumpur. As long as I know this flag is named as “Jalur Gemilang”, in English is “Glorious Stripes”. It was named by Prime Minister Tun Mahatir bin Mohammad. What a fabulous name! Continue to talk about the race, there are three major races in Malaysia which I am pretty sure everyone knows about it already. Those three major races are Malays, Chinese, and Indians. Firstly is about Malays. Malays are the largest population in Malaysia compared to Chinese and India. Mostly, all of them are Muslims and work as farmers and fishermen. They speak the national language, which is Bahasa Malaysia and it is really similar to Indonesian language. In my point of view, Malays are physically looked like Indonesian people. It can be seen from the color of the skin, their faces, and their eyes. This is the example picture of malays.

This's my friends. The black T-shirt named Malik and the girl named Amalina!
(Sorry I made this picture as an example :D )

Then the second one is Chinese. Chinese is the second largest population where nowadays become the power of the economy in Malaysia. Chinese was actually come to Malaysia in the 15th century and mostly from Fujian and Guangdong. They have some dialects such as Hokkien and Cantonese. They also have some traditional culture such as Lion dance, Dragon dance, and Ang Pow. Recently, Chinese are English educated. They can speak English with their Chinese dialects in between. Most of them are well educated and involved in the business sector of Malaysia. And this is the example of Chinese.


Khan Yean Thoong
(Sorry I made this picture as an example :D)

The last one is Indians, they were originally from southern India and mostly speak Tamil. Their religion is Hinduism. They involved in the business sector of Malaysia, such as in restaurant that well known as “mamak stall”. Their traditions are really tied with the religion, for example during Deepavali (their Hindu festival) they will perform some rites and visit temples. I have seen a very big Indian temple in Batu Caves on my way to Genting High Land.

This is my friend in my previous college.

This is all about the Colorful Malaysia part one ;)

2 comments: